Sunday 24 January 2021

PARK RUN 5K - AN EIGHT WEEK PLAN FOR US TO FOLLOW DURING THIS LOCKDOWN. WEEK #1

Hopefully the start of a two month (or more) program to follow, I have some great friends who have been regular parkrun attendee's for many years. A few years ago I also took to the country park 5k course at Bedfont Lakes and although it was well attended and they provide excellent support I was never going to be a regular and felt somewhat embarrassed being lapped by the regulars ... it was taking me about 45-50 mins to complete, mainly cos I walked it. However I was still a fan of this amazing free activity and it's a truly global phenomenon. You can find out more about this here https://www.parkrun.org.uk/.

So having only been a part time attendee and often doing so once all the regular runners have completed it has not had the impact on my health that I hope it continues to have on so many others. Thankfully the lockdown has made us all think more about exercise, though only so many Joe Wicks sessions I can watch, nice to see Bez (Mark Berry) the former Happy Mondays dancer getting in on this too find out more by searching 'Get Buzzin’ With Bez' on YouTube. Parkrun have also begun another 5k plan but this time aimed at non runners like myself. Parkwalk - Strive For Five, an eight week plan to get us up and moving towards a 5k walk/jog.

Even through all the lockdowns we have experienced the Government has encouraged us to get out and take our exercise and this sort of plan is most welcome for me personally. As someone who is fortunate enough to have been able to work from home my highlight of the week has been the trip to the supermarket for shopping, not seen any friends or family outside of regular Zoom/Teams video calls. 

Week one

15 minutes of walking every other day at an easy pace.
(this doesn’t have to be done in one go, take breaks as you need to)

A nice simple start, gets us up and out and although says every other day will do each day this week as I really need to get away from my 'home office' for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment