Friday 1 July 2016

DAY OFF UP LONDON -- CABLE CAR RIDE OVER THAMES

Had a few days off this week originally planned for a postponed trip to York which I should now arrange for September. So instead of wasting the days I finally made a trip I've been meaning to do for some time on the Emirates sponsored Cable Car known as the Emirates Air Line. 

Took an early morning train up to Waterloo and Jubilee line to North Greenwich which is of course home to the O2. From there it's a fairly short stroll to the entrance for the Thames Cable Car that was built and opened in time for the 2012 London Olympics. 

It's not that well signed but that's not so bad as you can't miss it as long as you turn LEFT out of the underground station (and not "right" as I was instructed) then just look up and you can't miss the cable cars coming into "land". 

The cars are compact and could probably accommodate a family of say six occupants, fortunately it was quiet and I was able to travel in one to myself. This allowed for some excellent views of the journey and the surrounding scenery as we travelled over the Thames towards the Royal Victoria Docks landing stage. 


Also took a ride around on the DLR as haven't been on that stretch for a good few years and returned home again on the London Overground service into Clapham Junction via Peckham and Denmark Hill so have now done the entire London Loop journey on the Overground routes. 

Started raining once I got myself back home ... well it is Summer and Wimbledon Tennis is on I suppose so normal service has resumed, all is well in the world again. :) 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment